Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Madeleine McCann Dissappearance

I am not sure if people are aware that a 4 year-old British girl, named Madeleine McCann, has been missing since May. A friend of mine approached me with the story and was shocked that I had not heard about it. What was even more surprising was that this little girl has been missing for over a hundred days! My friend gave me a newspaper article on the story of Madeleine from the Washington Post. I was informed that while this little girl and her family were on vacation in Portugual, her parents went out to eat in a nearby restaurant and left Madeleine and her twin siblings unattended. Although the mother went randomly to check on them in the hotel, Madeleine still went missing. I agree with some of the critics and reporters that the parents should not have left their children, who are sooooooo young, in a hotel room on vacation by themselves. However, I found out that in Britain many restaurants do not allow children so it is common for kids in Britain to be left alone. The parents of Madeleine were never suspects in her dissappearance however investigators have begun to question them.
While the search has continued to look for Madeleine, a website was designed to remind people of the little British girl. Since the investigation has been going on for quite some time, her parents fear that society will forget about their little girl. I had a chance to visit this website and found it heartwarming. The many photos of Madeleine McCann were spread throughout the homepage of the site as well as various information. What I also found interesting on the website were blog entries. Madeleine's father, Gerry McCann, keeps a blog which he updates every so often. Of course he cannot reveal to much information but I felt that it was another way to let the public know how important his little girl is to him and the struggles his family has been going through.
I encourage everyone that has read this entry to visit the website. The site accepts donations and additional information on child exploitation.

No comments: