Friday, October 12, 2007

A Scary Moment

A couple of nights ago I recieved very disturbing news about my grandfather. It was about 1:00 o'clock in the morning and I was about to shut my eyes to go to sleep until suddenly my house phone rings. It was my grandparents name and number that appeared on the caller I.D. so I answered it in a rush knowing that my grandparents normally don't call my house so late at night. On the other side of the phone was my grandmother. She sounded calm and collective however when she told me what was happening my reaction was not calm. My grandmother told me that my grandfather didn't feel well so she called 911 and the ambulance were at her house and they want my grandfather to go to the hospital. I told her I will be right there and hung up the phone. I ran into my parents bedroom and told them the news. My mother jumped out of bed (it is her father) and together we raced to my grandparents hosue which is luckily only 5 minutes away. When we arrived the ambulents were in my grandparents kitchen and my grandfather was standing. I was expecting to see him in a strecther in the ambulence but instead he just had a cold.

However, my grandmother proceeded to tell the story which went like this: She was calling my grandfather for a question while he was on the computer. After she had called his name several times so went into the computer room and found my grandfather's head thrown back in the chair and his eyes shut. She thought he had fallen asleep until he wasn't waking up. She began slapping his face and asking him what to do, what to do. In a rush she called 911 and the ambulence and fire trucks arrived. The ambulents could not force my grandfather to go to the hospital but they advised him to. My grandfather is very stubborn and he said he didn't want to wait in the emergency room for hours. I thought he should have went because he sounded weird from the cold he had and because of ambulents suggested so. In the end, he had to sign a couple of papers refusing to go to the hospital and my mother and I went home dissapointed in him. I couldn't sleep all night and I know my grandmother stayed up all night watching him sleep just incase of another emergency.

No comments: