Monday, October 1, 2007

Wireless Connection in Subway Stations

Last week I read an article in the New York Times that the MTA has officially allowed a wireless service to line the subway stations. However, the wireless connection is not offered on the subway themseleves out of respect for the other passengers who are not on their cell phones whether they are trying to sleep, study or have a conversation with another. This wireless network offered the MTA about 4 million dollars. If it's not obvious, this company defeated other networks who wanted to begin the project because they offered the most money. MONEY is all that matters in New York City. Anyway, I am glad that this project is about to begin because it can help in emergency situations such as the flood that occured in August and knocked out wireless communications so passengers had no clue what was going on. No one was allowed to phone a friend or their boss for that matter. This project does not really affect me because I do not commute on the subway on a daily basis like others but when I do travel into the city it is reasssuring that I will be able to stay in touch and keep connected so I do not become lost. This article stood out to me because I saw the words cell phones in the title and as a young woman and for any other adolescent, cell phones are a vital part of life.

No comments: